Monday, March 1, 2010

"Real" Food vs. "Fake" Food


Imitation crab is what many people on a budget would consume when they are craving seafood. I am a huge fan of sushi, and spend a lot of my time making it for friends, family, and myself when I can. I have used "real" crab meat before and loved the way it smelled and tasted; nonetheless, I eventually came to realize that it was costing me too much. In order to save me money for more important things, I had to force myself to make the switch. I was able to get imitation crab meat for about one quarter the price of "real" crab meat!!


Imitation crab meat contains textural and nutrition properties that allows it to be a good substitute for its natural alternative. Although imitation crab meat does not maintain its flavor after a few bites, it’s definitely affordable, flexible and does not need to be cooked ahead of time. This alternative is made in a process using whitefish, usually Alaskan Pollack. It does have the great benefits of fish but unlike fresh fish, there are preservatives and colorings. Imitation crab meat is, as a matter of fact, healthy for consumers even though it's a processed food. It provides important nutrients that are required for people to live a healthy day-to-day life. Also, since imitation crab meat is made from whitefish, it is heavy in Omega 3’s (healthy fat). The only drawback is that it doesn’t quite taste and smell like “real” crab meat.


However, I was able to overcome the negative aspect of the "fake" food because as a result of consuming imitation crab meat, it definitely made me feel better about myself. I was able to save a lot of money towards school, transportation, and many other things, yet still enabling me to consume what I love most! I think that after so many years of using this alternative meat over “real” crab meat for my sushi, I have become so attached to its cost that I might not return to the real thing, unless I am making sushi for a special occasion!


Are You Filling Up on Real Food or Fake Food?

by By Dr. Leslie Van Romer


I do not agree with this article, because although "fake" food is considered to be lower on nutrients than "real" food, it does not necessarily mean that with the consumption of "fake" food, it will reduce the number and quality of an individual's days on earth. I believe that it just depends on how well people control their eating habits and how well their choices are while picking "fake" food over its natural rival.

No comments:

Post a Comment